Friday, January 24, 2014

Introduction (Part 1)

Ladies and Gentlemen, as of now, I embark on an interesting journey. I will attempt to discover exactly what it takes to emulate Sherlock Holmes - the famous and nearly infallible detective immortalized by Arthur Conan Doyle's stories and many TV shows and movies since.


A little background:

There seems to be no reason (other than personal choice) why Holmes could not have been equally brilliant a criminal as a crime solver. Watson, the faithful doctor, even goes so far as to say this in Doyle's original work. Sherlock Holmes, even as a fictional character, is a fascinating person - a man with an extraordinary wealth of unusual knowledge, unparalleled deductive abilities, and a personality suggestive of sociopathy or psychopathy (depending on the representation), bipolar disorder, obsessive behavior, and problems with addiction. Any one of these traits would make for a fascinating subject of study, so it stands to reason that a person (even a fictional one) with all of them merits some study.

I see no reason why a person couldn't be trained to emulate the man. Setting aside the psychological disorders (for now), there are certain striking similarities between myself and Holmes which I plan to exploit in my endeavor to practice the science of deduction. The first trait is obsession. Anyone who knows me in any capacity will know what I mean by this. For those who do not, I have a tendency to do what is referred to as "hyper-focusing." This applies to my school, my hobbies, my work, and even my conversations. I home in on a specific element until it no longer requires my attention (meaning either that it is solved or it is no longer an issue). In addition, I tend to fluctuate in my moods between silent thinker and social performer in a very binary sense. We'll get into my suspicions of my psychological situation later on, but for now suffice it to say that I believe that I have the necessary basic components for a task such as this.

This is the first of two intro-posts. The second will be outlining my "methods," or habits which I will endeavor to practice for the duration of this experiment.

I will be posting as often as I can to update you, dear reader, on my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment