Monday, September 15, 2014

Deduction #7

Another College Student!


This one was fun. Right off the bat, we have a female subject. Evidently she is quite the bookworm based on the stack of Young Adult novels on the right side of the desk. Next we have her name, Annie, which is written on several of the pieces of paper on the bulletin board running the length of the desk. We could talk about her affinity for horses, or the fact that she seems to be a Vikings fan, or the operating system of her computer (Windows 7 I think), but I think I've found something more interesting. A closer inspection of the lanyards hanging just behind the lamp reveal the logo of UST, a Catholic College in St. Paul, Minnesota. That by itself is not a ton to go on. However, once we add the brand-new student ID (still in sleeve) and what appears to be a welcome packet on the desk, I feel quite safe in assuming that you are an incoming Freshman at the school.

Now that we know a little about the who, let's talk about where. Given previous information, we should answer the question of whether this picture was taken in a dorm room. I'm confident it was not. The layout of the room (lamp reflection) suggest single-occupant bedroom. Not only that, but this picture was sent to me about a month ago, a full 10 days before you could have moved in. Based on a few quick statistics from UST's website, I conclude that you most likely are staying in a dorm the first year.

Now for the fun part. The picture was taken with an Apple Device (Ipad) which, as we know from previous deductions, has a nasty habit of encoding GPS data into its pictures. Without going into too much detail, I was able to get a pretty good lock on your location at the time the picture was taken. This type of information would allow someone to, oh I don't know, find the Facebook page for the incoming freshman class of UST, search for the name "Annie," and narrow the search by hometown. Upon doing that, one would discover that you ARE in fact staying in a dorm (the exact one will not be mentioned), and that you were at one point engaged in the process of searching for a flatmate in true Sherlockian fashion. If the cup in your room (reflection in picture frame) is any indication, you must be quite happy about the number and proximity of Arby's at your new location in the dorms.

Happy sleuthing!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had fun with this! Since it's my desk, I figured I'd weigh in on the deductions. You're right about almost everything--I am indeed a bookworm, I am named Annie, and I do have an affinity for horses (or at least, I did when I was younger), and so on. You got the incoming freshman part right, as well, though I suppose Facebook made that easy to confirm (I'd never thought of finding the information that way). I did look for a flatmate in Sherlockian fashion, and I found one, too. I'm writing this from my new dorm.

    The one thing I'm curious about is the Vikings fan deduction, since I don't follow football and have no team affiliations at all. The purple bag in the bottom right corner, perhaps? It's from UST, which has similar team colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vikings bit was due to the bag, yes. I didn't have any particular reason to assume you went in for football. I added it because if you were a football fan, I figured you go with the local team.

      Plus, it seemed weird to go straight from "She probably likes horses" to "I know where she lives."

      Evidently my interwebs social-skills are slightly sub-par. I really must work on my transitions.

      Delete
  2. Right handed based on the location of the keys and books as well as the tilt of the computer.

    ReplyDelete